What is the best kind of level design?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Wooliestplate89
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Red sus, oh wait i'm red...
Pronouns: he/him

What is the best kind of level design?

Postby Wooliestplate89 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:41 pm

Level Design plays an important role in many levels, and not just in SMBX but in many other games (for ex, Sonic 1, Kirby ATFL, Klonoa DTP, etc). This does mean that if a level has bad Level design, then it will be a bad level (even if it has amazing visuals & Music). With that being said, what do you think is good Level Design? I personally like the Level design in DKCTF, where most levels have multiple gimmicks that are combined in intresting and unique ways.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: What is the best kind of level design?

Postby Mal8rk » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 pm

This might be a bit wierd, but personally, I really like the level design in Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga. Everything is filled to the brim with secrets and easter eggs, and I'm a sucker for all of that. I should also mention that I also like levels that have múltiple sections with small mechanics or little challenges in them (AKA, Yoshi's Island). I think they make the levels more longer, but also more diverse.

Wooliestplate89
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Red sus, oh wait i'm red...
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wooliestplate89 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:08 am

POPME wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 pm
This might be a bit weird, but personally, I really like the level design in Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga. Everything is filled to the brim with secrets and easter eggs, and I'm a sucker for all of that. I should also mention that I also like levels that have multiple sections with small mechanics or little challenges in them (AKA, Yoshi's Island). I think they make the levels more longer, but also more diverse.

Secrets in level design is a good way to reward exploration, and it adds replayability. It also makes the level unique and memorable (if it's not copy and pasted all throughout the game/episode). Now I've talked about the good, but that's only one half of the spectrum. Secrets are like side dishes, they're secondary, and if you only pay attention to the secrets and not the game play itself, then wouldn't matter how cool the secrets are, the level will just be bad. My advice is that you give your level the best of both worlds, add cool and unique secrets, while also paying attention to the gameplay itself.
Last edited by Wooliestplate89 on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:02 pm

Wooliestplate89 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:08 am
POPME wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 pm
This might be a bit wierd, but personally, I really like the level design in Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga. Everything is filled to the brim with secrets and easter eggs, and I'm a sucker for all of that. I should also mention that I also like levels that have múltiple sections with small mechanics or little challenges in them (AKA, Yoshi's Island). I think they make the levels more longer, but also more diverse.

Secrets in level design is a good way to reward exploration, and it adds replayability. It also makes the level unique and memorable (if it's not copy and pasted all throughout the game/episode). Now i've talked about the good, but that's only one half of the spectrum. Secrets are like side dishes, they're secondary, and if you only pay attention to the secrets and not the game play itself, then would'nt matter how cool the secrets are, the level will just be bad. My advice is that you give your level the best of both worlds, add cool and unique secrets, while also paying attention to the gameplay itself.

Oh, I thought we were talking about what our favorite type of level design was. But eitherway, that's a pretty good advice. Thanks

Soup Mario
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Nothing special
Pronouns: He

Postby Soup Mario » Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:51 am

It's different on people's thoughts but personally, I like styled episodes (Ones who only make use of their own style's blocks and objects)
As example, SMB3 styled episodes only make use of SMB3's objects.

Return to “General”