The Wishing Stars - Summer Stars

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

The Wishing Stars - Summer Stars

Postby AirShip » Sat May 25, 2024 3:07 pm

The Wishing Stars - Summer Stars is a direct sequel to my another episode, The Wishing Stars - Winter Wishes.
Unlike the previous episode, Summer Stars takes place in the summer season, on the island of Glowdia, known worldwide for its beautiful resorts and refreshing beaches.

Screenshots & Gifs:

Spoiler: show

Episode Info:

• Overall Difficulty: Easy/Medium
• Overall Duration: Short 'n Sweet/4 Hours.
• Playable Character: Mario & Luigi
• Multiplayer: No?(not tested)
• Achievements: Yes
• Overall Size File: 30,92 MBs
• SMBX Version: SMBX2b5.0.0.2

Changelog:

1.0.0 - Episode Release

Bugs:

- If the player pauses the game in the map, music cease to exist.
- If the player pauses the game during a time attack challenge, the music changes back to the original music of the level.
- Sometimes Mario/Luigi will go upwards when hit by an enemy, this is an bug with antizip.lua when used with SMW-Mario costume.
- Not exactly a bug, but grammatical errors are to be expected.

You can download the episode here:

Dropbox Link:

Google Drive Link:

Enjoy!

Last edited by AirShip on Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Wishing Stars - Summer Stars

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat May 25, 2024 4:27 pm

Like the world map, how many levels is that pack supposed to have?
Tilesets and Bgs also look really good, they fit.
Also nice: You make plenty use of unusual new npcs. Great to see them used somewhere.

And I see you use the P-Balloon. So do I for my project, after I finally found some good sprite sheets (where I had to change the colors to make them fit with the SMW costumes through).

Anyway, nice work.

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Mon May 27, 2024 11:15 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:27 pm
Like the world map, how many levels is that pack supposed to have?

I'd rather not spoil the surprise, if you want to know how many levels the episode has, play the episode. :mrgreen:
...or download it and look in the folder to see how many levels there are, I can't stop you from doing that.

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:24 pm

Episode released, enjoy!

Could someone from moderation move the project to the episodes section, please?

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:52 am

Can you upload the episode to Google Drive?

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:45 pm

Alexx0612 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:52 am
Can you upload the episode to Google Drive?
Yes.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w0jYMO ... sp=sharing

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:54 pm

Thanks

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:03 am

I entered the last level and encountered the following errors:

Dazin13
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Heya!

Postby Dazin13 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:09 am

Its a great episode, not so hard or so easy, not too long or too short.
Everything on its looks and plays just right.

I absolute recommend it to anyone looking for a great time playing an episode!

Cat king
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Mario kart wii is #1

Postby Cat king » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:47 pm

Great episode. Also the one fish fiasco level has made me forever hate fishes.

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:04 pm

Dazin13 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:09 am
Its a great episode, not so hard or so easy, not too long or too short.
Everything on its looks and plays just right.

I absolute recommend it to anyone looking for a great time playing an episode!
Cat king wrote: Great episode. Also the one fish fiasco level has made me forever hate fishes.

Hey guys, thanks for the nice words, I really appreciate that!
Alexx0612 wrote: I entered the last level and encountered the following errors:

I couldn't find the cause of your problem, and since no one else who played the episode had the same problem as you, I'm guessing the cause of the problem is something in your SMBX installation?

The only suggestion I can give is to reinstall your SMBX and make sure you are using version SMBX2 B5 patch2.

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:34 am

Need patch 2? I think I understand the reason for the error.

OneTonShoe
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby OneTonShoe » Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:12 am

Great episode, Airship! I really liked the more laid-back/chill level design (except for the secret level, but that's actually really fun), however I do have a few things to point out:
-The single biggest flaw, that is Antizip. Sure, it prevents cheese, but it also has a major bug; if you get hit while small, you often get sent up and often into a wall, which is basically just instant death. Not very fun, especially in the Time Attacks.
-The final boss. I mean, cmon, it's just a slightly different Wart. Not even a phase 2. The Bowser Jr. fight from Winter Wishes set up high expectations for me.
Besides that, it's all good! The addition of Luigi as a playable character is cool, and the inclusion of Balugio is a funny reference aswell. The time attacks were a ton of fun, too. Keep cooking.

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:17 am

OneTonShoe wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:12 am
Great episode, Airship! I really liked the more laid-back/chill level design (except for the secret level, but that's actually really fun), however I do have a few things to point out:
-The single biggest flaw, that is Antizip. Sure, it prevents cheese, but it also has a major bug; if you get hit while small, you often get sent up and often into a wall, which is basically just instant death. Not very fun, especially in the Time Attacks.
-The final boss. I mean, cmon, it's just a slightly different Wart. Not even a phase 2. The Bowser Jr. fight from Winter Wishes set up high expectations for me.
Besides that, it's all good! The addition of Luigi as a playable character is cool, and the inclusion of Balugio is a funny reference aswell. The time attacks were a ton of fun, too. Keep cooking.
I'm glad you liked the episode! About your mentions:
Yeah, the bug with antizip indeed is a problem, I was hoping a fix/update from Enjl, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.
I need test the episode again without it, to see if everything works fine, then maybe I release a patch that won't need the antizip.

And yeah, Wart was supposed to have a 2nd phase, but was scrapped because I couldn't make it work, unfortunately.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:03 am

Fun episode! Now do Spring Stars or Autumn Stars next, then probably the 5th season (you will get this reference) for the finale!

The levels are neat. It has become quite a formula for you that works well. It is as charming as always with the hud NPCs and character moves. The world map also looks pretty. Initially, I didn't know where the 3rd Shrine sprite was until I replayed the level, and then it dawned on me that it was a speedrun challenge. It's a good concept that depends on the level. Usually, you have like 20s to spare, but you can do cheese strategies like clearing the whole section of enemies before hitting the block to make it faster. Well, you can see my runs sometime later.

A few problems as well, like the antizip clip mentioned above. It isn't fun to get hit and either die in the wall or teleport to the ceiling. Pausing on the map destroys the background music, probably because the pause screen also has music during a level. The bubble projectiles that Wart spills out are too loud (or too much) for me. I also felt weird about the secret level all hyped with high stakes and speed, abruptly ended by a warp box teleporting you to a treasure vault. It would be cool if you jumped in a blast barrel, blasted out of a volcano/hell/underground, and landed at the hub where everyone was celebrating the Fire Festival (or something like that) during the night.

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:34 am

How to get to the secret level? I looked all over the hub and couldn’t find anything:(

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:38 pm

Alexx0612 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:34 am
How to get to the secret level? I looked all over the hub and couldn’t find anything:(

Secret Level: show
You can access the secret level (which is located in the "The World's Pit" level) after beating the final boss.
cato wrote: Fun episode! Now do Spring Stars or Autumn Stars next, then probably the 5th season (you will get this reference) for the finale!

The levels are neat. It has become quite a formula for you that works well. It is as charming as always with the hud NPCs and character moves. The world map also looks pretty. Initially, I didn't know where the 3rd Shrine sprite was until I replayed the level, and then it dawned on me that it was a speedrun challenge. It's a good concept that depends on the level. Usually, you have like 20s to spare, but you can do cheese strategies like clearing the whole section of enemies before hitting the block to make it faster. Well, you can see my runs sometime later.

Shhhhh! Don't spoil the surprise of the next episodes Cato!
Glad you liked the simplicity of the episode! That's exactly the feeling I wanted to convey with this series of episodes!
And yes, I knew the strategy was possible, I just didn't imagine anyone would try something like that.

cato wrote: A few problems as well, like the antizip clip mentioned above. It isn't fun to get hit and either die in the wall or teleport to the ceiling. Pausing on the map destroys the background music, probably because the pause screen also has music during a level. The bubble projectiles that Wart spills out are too loud (or too much) for me. I also felt weird about the secret level all hyped with high stakes and speed, abruptly ended by a warp box teleporting you to a treasure vault. It would be cool if you jumped in a blast barrel, blasted out of a volcano/hell/underground, and landed at the hub where everyone was celebrating the Fire Festival (or something like that) during the night.

Yeah, the secret level just ends abruptly indeed, the reason is because I ran out of ideas for that level at that point, and I was worried about the level being too long as well.

SuperSebbl
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SuperSebbl » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:43 am

While the level design is really creative, I have some things which bothered me during my playthrough.

There is a bug in the underwater level as well as the cave level in the beginning when you get hit by an enemy, the game teleports you upwards and you often die because you end up stucking in blocks then.

What I didn't find convenient was that in the seaside level, if you get hit by the eater fish while standing on the platform fish, you will always die as you fall right through them.

Mario's extra ability is easy to pull off when you don't want it to pull off which leads to you getting yeeted into an enemy.

The music on the overworld disappears after saving.

Other than that, the level design is clever and definitely one of the harder episodes, difficulty wise. :thumbsup:

Anthonity
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!

Postby Anthonity » Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:43 am

a little off topic, but i would like to know the sources of the assets, specifically the hub interior and countdown cave tilesets

AirShip
Panser
Panser

Postby AirShip » Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:12 pm

Anthonity wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:43 am
a little off topic, but i would like to know the sources of the assets, specifically the hub interior and countdown cave tilesets

The mentioned tilesets were made by S1m0nSam's, you can find them here:
viewtopic.php?p=392521&hilit=S1m0n#p389052

SuperSebbl wrote: While the level design is really creative, I have some things which bothered me during my playthrough.

There is a bug in the underwater level as well as the cave level in the beginning when you get hit by an enemy, the game teleports you upwards and you often die because you end up stucking in blocks then.

What I didn't find convenient was that in the seaside level, if you get hit by the eater fish while standing on the platform fish, you will always die as you fall right through them.

Mario's extra ability is easy to pull off when you don't want it to pull off which leads to you getting yeeted into an enemy.

The music on the overworld disappears after saving.

Other than that, the level design is clever and definitely one of the harder episodes, difficulty wise. :thumbsup:

Thanks for playing! The mentioned issues will be fixed in the next version, I hope.

Return to “Episodes”