SUPER MARIO MIRACLE 2 - Collectathon Episode!

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
jaf
Swooper
Swooper

SUPER MARIO MIRACLE 2 - Collectathon Episode!

Postby jaf » Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:04 pm

-- SUPER MARIO MIRACLE 2 --

Some of you may remember the original Super Mario Miracle, which was released in 2018. Now after six and a half years, I can finally present you its direct sequel - now with the power of SMBX2!

Trailer:

-- STORY --

After a quarrel between Mario and a strange Toad, the five wish-granting Miracle Fragments flew all across the world into different lands. Now it's up to Mario to get them back! While the story may seem simple at first, there is something going on behind the scenes. Furthermore, each world features its own little storyline!

-- FEATURES --

• Open Worlds: There is a lot to explore and collect in each world!
  • Dungeons: Atmospheric dungeons focussing on puzzle solving and platforming!
  • A custom moveset: Long jumps, creating cloud platforms, swapping to Luigi at any time and more!
  • Loads of content: Although you only need around half to beat the game, there are a total of 136 stars scattered throughout the five worlds.
  • 15+ Custom Bosses: Completely custom, Lua-coded, intense boss battles!
  • Three difficulties: Relax the star requirements in lenient mode or face especially tough bosses in harsh mode!
  • Quality of Life Features: From the star tracker in the pause menu to the Oracle telling you about where to go next - the star hunt will be a lot less convoluted this time.
-- IMAGES --

Spoiler: show

-- SOME MORE INFORMATION --

• This episode requires SMBX2 Beta 5.
  • Credits.txt file is included. Asset creators are also credited in the staff roll at the end of the game.
  • Code assets I wrote are theoretically free to use by anyone for anything, although I think the code is too specific to the episode to be of much use.
  • The game is set after the first episode, but it's fine to not play the first one first.
  • I estimate the game will take most people 5-10 hours, depending on how much they want to collect.
  • I will be uploading a 100% Walkthrough of this episode here!

-- DOWNLOAD NOW!!!! --

VERSION 1.0.2 (newest):
MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/file/p39hi6z0 ... 2.zip/file
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vi1ciQ ... sp=sharing

PATCH -> v1.0.2:
Drag and drop this folder's content into the episode folder so that the outdated files get replaced:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Changelog:
v1.0.2:
  • Change questionable grammar in World 2 Toadwig dialogue.
  • Add help arrow in lower left room of World 2 Castle.
  • Slightly tone down the fog effect in some rooms in World 2 Castle.
  • Move Frightlight in World 3 to a different position to avoid getting hit by invisible hitbox.
  • Reduce max pipe angle in World 4 long-shot minigame to prevent softlock.

Hotfix v1.0.1:
  • Fix Error message when collecting stars in World 4 Main Dungeon.
v1.0:
  • Original release
Outdated Downloads:
Last edited by jaf on Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: SUPER MARIO MIRACLE 2 - Collectathon Episode!

Postby Emral » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:40 am

I only just started playing this and made it past the first major boss, but so far, it's very great! The open world structure with hidden doors aplenty, and even secondary collectibles like Yoshi Eggs and blue coins makes exploration a lot of fun. The voice clips and voice-synced menu (wowie!) add just that little bit of whimsy to really make it worthwhile to go for all of these. The bosses so far are also great! Laki and the Bob-Omb have a ton of creative moves and are just the right length/difficulty to be challenging without overstaying their welcome or being too hard to figure out.
I'm gonna continue my adventure next time I get the chance.

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Alexx0612 » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:50 am

Is it possible to pass this level? Such incomprehensible things discourage the desire to play :(

jaf
Swooper
Swooper

Postby jaf » Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:03 am

Emral wrote: I only just started playing this and made it past the first major boss, but so far, it's very great! The open world structure with hidden doors aplenty, and even secondary collectibles like Yoshi Eggs and blue coins makes exploration a lot of fun. The voice clips and voice-synced menu (wowie!) add just that little bit of whimsy to really make it worthwhile to go for all of these. The bosses so far are also great! Laki and the Bob-Omb have a ton of creative moves and are just the right length/difficulty to be challenging without overstaying their welcome or being too hard to figure out.
I'm gonna continue my adventure next time I get the chance.
Nice!! Makes me extremely happy to hear you're enjoying it 8-)
Alexx0612 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:50 am
Is it possible to pass this level? Such incomprehensible things discourage the desire to play :(
Hm ok. I can see why someone may get stuck in the Wind Castle dungeon. I'll upload a video walkthrough of the game later. Until then I can offer you this little guide:
Image is a bit big, so better readable in full screen https://i.imgur.com/rDkdDxZ.png

Alexx0612
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Alexx0612 » Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:10 pm

I think I didn't find one hidden wall, which explains why I couldn't figure out where to go.

Justin Bieber Fan
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Disguised SMW Hacker

Postby Justin Bieber Fan » Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:37 pm

great, I liked the first one, now Im going to give it a try :D

HyperPenguin7
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby HyperPenguin7 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:25 am

I was in the World 4 dungeon, but whenever I got a star, a message showed up and everything stopped working, forcing me to restart. Is there any way I can stop this?

jaf
Swooper
Swooper

Postby jaf » Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:12 pm

HyperPenguin7 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:25 am
I was in the World 4 dungeon, but whenever I got a star, a message showed up and everything stopped working, forcing me to restart. Is there any way I can stop this?
OOF. :( That's what I get for my crappy code. And here I thought I managed to release it without any major bugs.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. And with that I release hotfix 1.0.1, which fixes the world 4 main dungeon...

To fix it, download this patch: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing and replace the luna.lua file in the World4Dungeon folder with that lua file...

Everyone who already downloaded the game should install this patch before continuing!

It's possible the collected stars that caused the errors don't show up anymore, but are still marked as uncollected on the pause screen and the rain station sign. If that's the case they should still count towards 100%. If the stars do show up again then you can just collect them again and they will work this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:14 am

If you shift too far to the right (horizontal) with the cannon in one of the bigger bonus rooms in World 4, this error pops up

which was not removable so you have to reboot the game with no Lua scripts activated. After starting over the level and getting that star, it didn't show up on the counter from the pause screen. Sat there for some time figuring out where I could miss the 5th star. It turns out I did collect that one, evidenced by the Star count from another level. It was the pause screen star counter that wasn't showing that the star had been collected.

jaf
Swooper
Swooper

Postby jaf » Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:56 pm

cato wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:14 am
If you shift too far to the right (horizontal) with the cannon in one of the bigger bonus rooms in World 4, this error pops up

which was not removable so you have to reboot the game with no Lua scripts activated. After starting over the level and getting that star, it didn't show up on the counter from the pause screen. Sat there for some time figuring out where I could miss the 5th star. It turns out I did collect that one, evidenced by the Star count from another level. It was the pause screen star counter that wasn't showing that the star had been collected.
Oh wow you're right. Crap how did I never notice that. Thanks for telling me.

OK, I could recreate that bug. I guess the SaveData didn't save properly because of the error, which is why the star you obtained prior to the error went back to being "uncollected" (5th star is the one in the block cage, so likely that one). I do call Misc.saveGame every time the player gets a star, but I guess the no lua reboot still messed up the SaveData? :?

I would say that's worth another patch so v1.0.2 is now available to download. I also changed some other less important things. There's a changelog in the OG post.

Return to “Episodes”